Friday, August 14, 2015

People feel more patriotic when 15 Aug is not on weekend: Research

New Delhi: An online research conducted by BC Nillson has revealed a drastic drop in patriotism among Indian youth as the Independence Day falls on weekend this year. Unlike previous years, when most people planned their Independence Day a month in advance, it’s a subdued affair this time.

Are you feeling patriotic enough?

Are you feeling patriotic enough?

IT professional Vikas Kumar is one such individual who says that he is not feeling ‘patriotic enough’ this year. He said, “I remember chalking out my Independence Day plans well in advance. My day used to start with AR Rahmans ‘Maa Tujhe Salam’ playing at full volume. Then I used to watch ‘Chak De India’, ‘Swades’, and ‘Rang De Basanti’ back to back. But this year I don’t feel like doing all that and the feeling of patriotism has almost vanished because of losing one extra holiday.”

As per the research, working professionals and students who get an off on Saturday are the worst hit. Not being able make plans for an extended weekend has deprived them of a much needed break from the drudgery of work.

“There are hardly any extended weekends in 2015 with most public holidays falling on weekends, how can you expect us to be patriotic?” asked a college student.

According to the report, Saturday being a dry day has also added to the woes of many people. On Friday, wine shops have announced flash sales similar to e-commerce sites to tide over the loss of business on Saturday.

Sunny Deol, who vanquished enemy battalions armed with just a hand-pump, acknowledged that the pain of not getting an extra holiday was heavier than his ‘dhai kilo ka haath’. “Although me and my brother aren’t doing anything much related to work currently, but still psychologically it feels good to have one extra day of not doing anything,” he said.

Meanwhile, NRIs who returned to India in droves after watching Swades, too felt that their patriotism diminished this year. “I remember watching Swades when I was in US and I made up my mind to come back after watching the movie, but now I have doubts if I took the right decision.”

No comments:

Post a Comment