Wednesday, October 21, 2015

After starting 7 NGOs, making 11 short-films and climbing 3 peaks, MBA aspirant wants Finance as career

New Delhi: Bhumesh Bargalaani a 4 times CAT aspirant and 3 times GMAT taker is not your run-of-the-mill MBA aspirant. In quest of making a ‘super-star achiever Resume’ and a ‘solid profile’ for his MBA admissions this MBA aspirant has accomplished lot of crucial milestones in past 3 years.

Bhumesh has been a founding member of 7 NGOs and public service organizations. He has shot and edited 11 short films on social causes which he has duly uploaded on You-tube.

Confused about what you should do to differentiate yourself from the crowd?

Confused about what you should do to differentiate yourself from the crowd?

He also claims to have successfully made it to the top of 3 ‘tough to be conquered’ mountain peaks. And Bhumesh is still in the 4th year of his B.Tech at Kangandas Educational-Institute of Engineering, Management and Arts (KEEMA).

In an interview given to Faking News, Bhumesh talked about his passions and what drives him.

Reporter: Hello Bhumesh the overachiever

Bhumesh: Nah I’m still not there, not an over-achiever. You can call me a brilliant-achiever though. I am just that right now.

Reporter: Sure. Bhumesh how did this MBA aspirant journey start?

Bhumesh: In year 2012 when I entered engineering, there and then I had decided that the next step after engineering is definitely MBA and I need to start early. Hence I started reading MBA admissions essays of aspirants who had successfully got MBA admissions into the mighty HSW i.e. the Harvard, Stanford and Wharton B-schools. I realized that all people who got in were super-star overachieving avengers.

Reporter: What exactly do you mean when you say super-stars?

Bhumesh: I’ll explain. Upon reading those MBA admissions essays for 8 days continuously I realized that if an MBA aspirant is leading NGO efforts in Africa, if he is able to cook 10 types of pulao, if he has dated girls from 8 different nationalities, his chances of getting an MBA admission is pretty high. These are some of the achievements which these top B-schools admission committees value a lot.

Reporter: Really? These sound very different and perhaps not connected to what is required for post-MBA success in management roles?

Bhumesh: Well that is where most of us get this wrong. These experiences teach you valuable global leadership insights. You won’t believe, in one of the essays one guy claimed to have taught his girlfriend’s brother for one full year and helped him pass class 10th. And he had put this as his most important mentorship achievement. The admissions committee loved him for that. Some guys had patents in micro-electronics, some had been a part of UNICEF for something, some interned with political offices. The key was to ‘differentiate’ oneself from the lot.

Reporter: And that’s what you set out to do, differentiate yourself?

Bhumesh: Absolutely my single point career-agenda is to build a career in Finance, my dream is to become a top-notch investment banker one day. And to reach that dream I need to get my MBA from a top school. And for that if I have start a few NGOs, make a few social documentaries and climb a few peaks. Why not? I even thought of exploring the homosexual side of me, so that I might be counted into the LGBT community considerations during MBA admissions, but felt it was too much and dropped the idea.

Reporter: Pretty serious stuff. And did you get time for all this along with your academics?

Bhumesh: Well no and yes. Being at KEEMA does make your life hectic. Assignment, practical classes and other workload really makes a keema out of you. But I had to stay focused at my MBA dream amongst the hectic academic schedule.

Reporter: More than 3 years of hectic prep, long list of milestones under your belt. Do you believe you are there? Are you on right track?

Bhumesh: Absolutely. Last year I applied to 15 top MBA schools, ‘the Ivy leagues’ and I got dinged (rejected) with feedback that I lack work experience. So now I plan to finish my engineering and take-up two full time internships in next 2 years. For one full year I would be working with an NGO in Rwanda on clean water strategies. And one year after that I will be working as an intern with a political party in US or in India working on their campaign strategies. And then I will re-apply to top B-schools and I am sure they will like me for my leadership skills, my on-ground field experience and perseverance. I will be an investment banker one day.

Reporter: Thanks a lot for talking to us Bhumesh. Our best wishes for your future endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment