Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Mark Zuckerberg’s letter on Facebook’s 10th anniversary

Today is Facebook’s 10th anniversary.


To be frank, it’s been a torturous journey so far, but still, I’m so grateful to be a part of it. It’s rare to be able to suck time from so many people’s lives, and I try to remind myself to make the most of every day and have the biggest impact I can on your lives.


I am ceo

“I’m CEO, Bi**h”



People often ask if I always knew that Facebook would become such a monstrous time killing machine as it is today. No way.


I remember getting pizza with my friends one night in college shortly after opening Facebook. I told them I was excited to let Harvard students dump textbooks in favor of The Facebook, but one day someone needed to do the same for students world over.


I always thought this was important – giving people the power to show off and stay confused, empowering people to build their own fantasy world themselves.


When I reflect on the last 10 years, one question I ask myself is: why people think that we are going to donate 1 dollar to that African kid for one like? We are not a charity organization. We have way fewer resources than other big companies. If they would have focused on this problem, they could have done it.


The only answer I can think of is: People misunderstood our motives. We are not there to remove poverty, but yeah, maybe we can help create a drug free world. By replacing the drugs.


While some doubted that in a market full of other drugs, social networking was not going to work, but we were building. While others doubted that this would be sustainable, you were getting addicted.


We just cared more about addicting the world than anyone else. And we still do today.


That’s why I’m even more excited about the next ten years than the last. The first ten years were about bootstrapping this network. Now we have the resources to help people across the world solve even bigger and more important problems like Kashmir and Taliban issues by abusing each others in comments.


Today, only one-third of the world’s population has access to the internet and are able to see the ads placed on right side of the Facebook news-feed. In the next decade, we have the opportunity and the social responsibility to make the other two-thirds see those ads.


Today, social networks are mostly about sharing moments with people, most of whom don’t even give a damn about those moments. In the next decade, they’ll also help you solve complex problems like, “Is your current hair style is perfect or not?”


Today, we have only a few ways to forcibly share our experiences with others. In the next decade, technology will enable us to create many more ways to capture and communicate new kinds of experiences. One of them is getting ‘Like’ by placing virtual gun on profile pic of your friend.


It’s been amazing to see how all of you have used our tools to keep yourself away from real world. You’ve shared the real happy moments and the artificial happy moments. You’ve started new rubbish pages, and kept spread out idiots connected. You’ve helped each other in so many ways.


I’m so grateful to be able to help build these tools for you. I feel a deep responsibility to keep you close to my amazing business venture by providing you platform to vent out your idiocy, so that the real world remains protected.


Thank you for letting me be a part of this journey.


Note: Here is Mark Zuckerberg’s original, err, fake post.

(the original post i.e. the above one, was accessed by Faking News using secret sources)



No comments:

Post a Comment